This is the last big, big step. Today is the day to axe milk and all remaining dairy products. The assignment comes in three parts:
- Remove all dairy products in your home or at least set them away from your food.
- Buy a dairy substitute. Be brave, you’ve probably already tried a milk replacement. Go for coffee creamer, margarine, or yogurt today.
- Make a vegan version of your favorite dairy-heavy meal. Try mac n’ cheese, a creamy soup, or vegan ice cream.
An optional fourth item for today can be to research the relationship between high diary consumption and osteoporosis. The American Dairy Council doesn’t care about your bones, your teeth, or your waistline. Their main objective is to sell milk.
To prepare for your defense against milk-pushers, here are some good facts to remember:
- Humans are the only animal to consume milk past infancy.
- Humans are the only animal to consume the milk of another species.
- Vitamin D isn’t naturally found in milk. It’s an unnecessary additive. Your body can manufacture enough Vitamin D on its own by simply spending 15 minutes outside in the sunlight. Vitamin D can also be purchased as a vegan supplement.
- The high amounts of protein found in milk more or less cancel out the calcium found in milk.
- Plant-based protein can be found in almost everything vegans eat: Bananas, Rice, Corn, Potatoes, Pasta, Bread, Peas, Lentils, Tofu, Broccoli, Spinach, Beans, Nuts, etc.
- Plant-based calcium can be found in many vegetables: Turnip Greens, Collard Greens, Kale, Romaine Lettuce, Broccoli, Cucumber, Cauliflower, Carrots, etc. as well as Soy Products, and Many Types of Nuts and Beans. Calcium can also be purchased as a vegan supplement.